Tuesday, March 13, 2012

13 March 2012: I will blog. I will blog. I will blog.

This past weekend was the Texas Style Council Conference.  I was definitely one of (perhaps _the_, note the lack of posts here*) least experienced style blogger there, but I have aspirations. 

After witnessing my enthusiasm during TxSC, my dear significant other offered to take outfit photos for me.  Unfortunately, I promptly got sick after the conference, and likely won't be getting dressed in anything but pajamas for a few days.  A few days without being tempted by the charms of SXSW and without attending work meetings around town may be good for blogging, though.  I was definitely daydreaming of assembling outfits between sneezes and sniffles today.

IIn addition to her mention of her cats, I really appreciated Julie of Orchid Grey enthusiastically touting the value of instagram during the Blog Balance panel, for sharing images, ideas, and inspiration.  I need some help with blog balance, in that this blog could stand to weigh a few more grams on my time scale than it does currently; however, I have already managed to follow a social media routine in 2012, wherein I instagram at least one photo every day (not related to any of the #monthphotoaday challenges--I experimented with that but could not keep up with the theme structure), under the instagram handle @kentuckyist.  I am fairly proud of this, as I have never carried any new year daily routine through as long as even March (daily flossing always dies by 7 January).  So maybe I can use instagram to help me become a blogger.

The phrase 'become a blogger' is interesting here.  I had what would now be called a blog back in the late 90s, on which I (on a page I had built myself from HTML scratch, thankyouverymuchandcouldn'tdoittodaytosavemylife) wrote a few pithy sentences about what happened nearly every day.  People read it, and though there was no comment form on the site, it did start a lot of conversations and fueled some fun projects with my friends.  I've since played with blogging about my days on my family's farm in Kentucky (where I spent a substantial fraction of each year), and my boyfriend and I are forever half-finishing posts for a food blog we share.  But I'd like to blog about fashion and style, because they are things I value, but don't deal with at all in my life as an academic (which does actually involve the farm and food).

So, here's to becoming a style blogger, with a little flat, sick-day mock-up of the dress, cardigan, and necklace I wore on the final day of TxSC to kick off my efforts.


*There was one more yicky post up here earlier, but I removed it because it had no original photos, marginal original content, and had been mostly an experimental thing I did to get practice on the new Blogger.

2 comments:

  1. When I started my blog, I jumped in to taking photos but didn't tell anyone I started a blog. I'm trying to be better at posting, which means I need to find a balance that I can live with. Good luck with blogging! I'm glad we met and you found my dress at the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! I was so excited to see this post in my feed! Like you, I've been "blogging" forever. Back then we called it an online journal. I still have that blog and write there on a weekly basis but it is mostly private and I only share it with very few people. I plan on keeping it that way since it really is my diary, an embarrassing digital diary.

    If you need someone to take outfit photos, I can volunteer, too! It'd be fun to schedule a weekly shoot so that we could force ourselves to maintain a blog schedule. Let me know what you think.

    I hope you get to feeling better!

    <3
    -Diana

    ReplyDelete