Friday, April 6, 2012

fantasy friday: things i wish i could do, mostly related to getting dressed...

These last few weeks have been doozies... I helped organize and pull off a conference about Texas food (and wore gingham through most of it), had my trusty car die on me (but be reborn with a new battery), started banjo lessons, and had my significant other come home from a company outing with a torn ligament...  Other than the gingham, most of my outfits have been shorts and t-shirts which got streaked with dirt from under the hood of my car, or the fastest thing I could pull on to run to last-minute meetings, errands or the doctor's office. A decent outfit I did put together to attend a friend's dissertation defense got completely splattered with kombu caramel cremeux when I pulled the trigger on my new Whipper for the first time, having only barely skimmed the directions for set-up and use.

I tend to enjoy the weekly features I see on some blogs, such as on dragonflight dreams, so I thought I would try to start one of my own.  "fantasy friday" will feature a list each week of fantasies (no, not that kind, minds out of gutters, folks)... things I am dreaming/wishing/hoping about.  Hopefully each week will have a slightly different theme, and some will be light, maybe some heavy, some attainable, and some, perhaps, purely ridiculous.

For this week's list, the topic is "Things I wish I could do, mostly related to getting dressed..."

1.  Walk in heels.  Any heels.  Seriously, anything higher than a 1 inch stack or  kitten-type heel has me kicking off the shoe in pain within about 30 minutes, and that's even if I am just standing and moving short distances.

2.  French braid (or any other type of elaborate braid) my own hair.  I am not sure if my inability to self-braid is due to my own lack of coordination, my super fine hair, my resistance to product, or just not paying my dues in terms of time spent practicing.

(I have been especially enchanted by the Katniss braids in Hunger Games.  Refinery 29 has a tutorial here that I might just have to try.)

3.  Make friendship bracelets, with embroidery thread.  I haven't exactly tried this since I was around 10 years old, but I was absolutely horrible at it then, and have good reason to believe I still would be.  I did buy a couple on Target clearance the other day though. (=

4.  Wear scarves well.  I often wonder if I have a misshapen head or something, as, regardless of how I fold and tie them, they always seem too wide for my head and fall off.  This might also have something to do with the above mentioned super fine hair.

(I am going to try to find the time to try out these suggestions from A Beautiful Mess sometime soon.)


That's all of my li'l list for now.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment